Welcome to Sunny Side Up! Collecting happiness, applauding creativity, and discovering adventures. Join this California girl as I spend my last few days in the sunshine state, and move to the Big Apple. This is a place where inspiration is found in pop culture, fashion, hidden gems, fun times, and good people. Join me while I look on the sunny side of life!

Friday, May 20

Adventuring-Yeehaw!

The excitement for this weekend started early with my Thursday evening. After giving one of the best campus tours of my life to 80+ 7th graders with two amazing ambassadors (complete with a relay race on one of our big lawns), and spending quite some time on work for this summer, the big adventure of the week began. After my weekly trip to Farmer's Market, it was time to kick up my boots, and shake what my momma gave me (thanks, Mom) at the local hotspot for line dancing.

Top 5 Reasons to go Line Dancing:
  1. Handsome cowboys who like swinging the ladies around on the dance floor.
  2. Mecca for the latest sundresses.
  3. Gaining a new appreciation for country music.
  4. Great exercise. 
  5. Laughing, jumping, and dancing around for over 3 hours.
This evening of line dancing was different from any other time I've gone. Just a little background, I used to go almost weekly the entire summer I spent in the area. It's usually where my best friend and I go to when we need a night to dress up and get our hearts pumping. However, due to busy schedules and an injury, it's taken awhile to get my boots back on...approximately 4 months. It was also the first time I would really be dancing since my injury, so I was slightly nervous. No need, though, because it was one of the best times I've been!  Partially because of how invigorating it was to be back, and mostly because of the massive group of friends that ended up going. Within our group of almost 20 people, we had a diverse dancing population-it was some's first time line dancing, and some were seasoned veterans for 4 years; mind you, this group in particular has some of the loudest, most positive and FUN personalities you'll ever find-so it was a nonstop great time.

Highlights of the evening included my first ever West Coast swing (a dance I was always terrified would make me feel as if I was on the teacup ride at Disneyland). Every time my partner dipped me, it was a rush! Also, seeing the newcomers having an absolute blast trying the dances, whether they understood them or not, illustrated the effect of a positive attitude. As for the moments when we took a breather, standing as close to the air conditioning vents as possible, those led to some great pictures...

The three of us referred to ourselves as the "3 Little Kittens" (from Despicable Me) while hiding our true identities to surprise the two wonderful ambassadors we mentor. :)

See the resemblance? via Gravity Happens

A portion of our group. 

If you love plaid, boots, and dresses, the outfits from the evening would make you swoon. I was so excited to try out a new dress I got for this upcoming summer, where I'll be a C.I.T. Advisor at a summer camp for 8 weeks. Every week, the camp holds a large dance party, similar to the line dancing I've described tonight. I have to give a shout out to J. Crew for making one terrific dancing dress. This outfit might make an appearance (or two) this summer.
Shelby Dress from J.Crew

Vintage red Fox Fire boots via Urban Outfitters 8 years ago.

Earrings from Forever 21 and spoon ring from Argentina (purchased at little mart in Claremont, CA).

After quite the adventure on the dance floor, our car needed to quench our thirsts after all that dancing. Naturally, we end up with sweet, sugary, non-hydrating goodness...
Cherry and Coca-Cola is my favorite combination.
And now, the adventure continues as some of my closest friends come into town from San Francisco and Denver. WOOHOO! I haven't hugged any of these wonderful people for longer than I care to admit. It will also be the first time I've seen one since she had an internship in Switzerland. And, besides getting to  see them, our ambassador group has its senior wine tasting extravaganza. I suppose the adventuring doesn't stop with line dancing this week. Have a wonderful weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment